Feb 3, 2013

Ushering in CNY 2013


I went shopping with my family just this morning in another town approximately 80 km from ours, not to prep for the coming Chinese New Year (since my family will not be inviting anyone to our house, we are going on a vacation~), but to escape from the hustle and bustle of our own town (only to get ourselves caught in the flooding crowd when we arrived in our neighbouring town) and to purchase new toys for my cute little poodle.

Obviously, the crowd was shopping to get ready for the celebration of the coming Chinese New Year. As a keen observer (DO NOT LAUGH!), I took the opportunity to scan through the people around me to see just how colourful our world is. Along the process, I discovered some funny stories:
  • Mummy wanted to buy some new shirts, she picked a couple of them and went to the fitting room. As usual, I obediently followed her to wait in front of the fitting room (she will always open the door when she is done with putting on the garments she picked to ask me whether she looks OK in them, which means she trusts me more than she does the mirror). A girl came out from the neighbouring room and asked her boyfriend if she looked pretty in the miniskirt she put on, to which he answered, "Yes, you are." She took a long moment staring herself in the mirror (from the outside) and said, "No, I think it's too long." What?, I thought. Her boyfriend, like me, found her statement incomprehensible and replied, "Why do want anything shorter than this?" Her answer was equally ridiculous to her first statement, "I look cuter in very short miniskirts." If you ask me, I would say what she put on wasn't a miniskirt, it was so short that you can call it a belt!
  • We went to a computer shop, mummy wanted to buy a new CPU to replace the old one at home. We overheard a conversation between two unoccupied saleswomen who were standing at the counter. Let's call them A and B. A said, "I had diarrhoea this morning," to which B replied, "Really? Mine was so hard that I had to sit in the bathroom for nearly ten minutes." I don't know how your expression looks like when you read this, but for us (daddy, mummy and I), we were completely stunned and stupefied, not knowing how to react. This episode ended with the salesman serving us approaching them to shut them up. Naturally, mummy didn't get to buy a new CPU, guess she needs to bear with the old one for a few more weeks, then.
  • I was at the counter to pay for a few pairs of socks I bought. The lady in front of me had her bill paid and started to fumble coins from her bag, lots of them. The cashier was frowning at her mysterious action and asked her what she was doing. The lady replied, "Can I change these coins for a piece of RM50 note (now you can imagine just how much coins she brought)?" The cashier, no doubt, denied her requests, politely. 
  • This happened at a restaurant. We were enjoying our lunch when the waitress brought one more dish to our table. We were sure we didn't order it and so we told her to take it away. She did, but after a few minutes, she came back (with the dish, still piping hot), and told us that she accidentally recorded the dish when she was taking our order and asked if we could finish it (obviously, so that she didn't have to be scolded). Well, she got a good lecture from daddy. 
'Colourful', isn't it? People tend to lose their rationality at some point (especially when they are under pressure to prepare for festivals, in this case, the Chinese New Year), but definitely, these are too much!
As the countdown continues, we are destined (and blessed) to witness even more bizarre incidents...

No comments:

Post a Comment