Dec 21, 2012

Me: Past, Present and Future

OK, I admit it. I am a very weird person (though I prefer to be addressed as unique). Since birth, I fought with death itself. In 1995, the hospital in my town was not capable of helping this poor little soul, so my parents hopped onto an ambulance with a nurse to rush me to Kuching. It may sound like a film, but this is my story. Ever since then, I've brought troubles and headaches to my parents and my brother.
   
And now, here I am, sitting in front of the screen to share my stories. Let's get started.

18th March 1995:
I was born, not with a silver spoon, but with the Grim Reaper's scythe. I didn't cry. I couldn't breathe. I was stuck between this world and the other realm (heaven or hell, I know not). I was rushed to Normah Hospital in Kuching. Lots of things happened at once. Tubes were connected, screens started to display hard-to-comprehend waves. I knew this because my mum told me while I was helping her in the kitchen one day. I thought she was joking... but no, not when she spoke in that tone. She meant it, every word of it.
        I came to appreciate being alive, being able to see, hear, smell and taste. The only impact of that incident that manifests in me is my poor coordination. I walk in a weird way (which attracted gazes and whispers). My movements are unnatural. But I count myself lucky not having to be attached to any machines.

January 2008:
I started my secondary education. Though I had better-than-expected results before, I came to realise that I should not be proud of who I am. I had a chance to come into contact with people of different talents and capabilities, math wiz, chess genius and some other maestros. However, I failed to learn as much things as I could from them.
        I became indulged in computers. The way they function, all the things they can accomplish. And this unnecessary indulgence distracted me from putting my focus on my studies. I got reprimanded by my parents for my bad results, not too bad, but still bad.

October 2009:
Perhaps, a turning point in my life. One day, when I was enjoying my lunch in the canteen, the principal summoned me. That really got my heart pumping hard and fast. I did nothing wrong, so I went to meet her in the office, only to find out that she was waiting for me in my classroom. What?! I thought. Obediently, I headed back to my class, and was amazed to find the principal smiling at me.
        "You remember the competition you joined a few months ago. The essay for the British Council thingy?" she asked. "You got an award for that, and a chance to go to Taiwan!"
        Rather than being happy, I felt down. Why? Because I was to go on a trip to Korea with my mum during the year end holiday. So I foolishly asked, "Can I not go?" The principal was obviously shocked. I explained to her what troubled me. She diligently called my mum to arrange things and yup, I got to go to Taiwan, in fact to Korea as well.
        I spent one week in Taiwan with kids from other states and also from other countries. I flew back home on the last day and flew again to Korea on the following day. I must say that was the most exiting holiday for me ever.

21 December 2012:
People are talking about the end of the world. Nothing is happening. I even saw an article stating that the end of the world has been postponed to 2015. Ridiculous! Now, I am waiting for my SPM results. How did I do? Will know soon enough, well not too soon, three months to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment