Dec 27, 2012

FRIENDS

No man is an island. We need families and friends (and, sometimes foes) in our lives. They spice up our days, magnify our joy and diminish our sorrow. Today, I would like to talk about friends (family in my coming post, do check back!).

I don't know about you, but my friends come in all ages, heights, weights and backgrounds (if you don't believe me, go ahead and check my Facebook profile), but out of those friends, only a drop in the ocean are people that I consider as my very best friends. So what are the criteria that got these few friends nominated as my best? Read down...
  1. They understand me: They know when I feel down or mad, some try to console me (thank you!) and I really appreciate that.
  2. They have my best interest in mind: I am a human, and I tend to make mistakes. I feel grateful to those who try to remind me of my faults (some reprimand me when I cross the border). Sometimes I feel angry towards them, but thinking back, without them I would have done greater mistakes.
  3. They care about me: Especially when there were events going on in school, some would ask if I wanted to participate with them. That made (past tense, now that I have graduated) me feel really great, thinking that people still remember me.
  4. They ask something from me: Even though I am not a Superman, I feel appreciated when they request me to do something. I feel meaningful to mingle with them. Of course, they know my limits, so they will not ask too much from me.
  5. They accept my weaknesses: When I do something wrong, these friends of mine understand the reason behind my fault. They do not try to humiliate me, they try to accept those weaknesses of mine. This acceptance helps fortify the bond between us. Then, I realise that my weaknesses have actually been a very useful tool to identify true friends from the crowd.
So there you go! If you admit that you are a weirdo like myself, take the criteria above as a checklist to label people as your best friends. Wish you the best of luck!

3 comments: