Dec 25, 2012

/msg/ SHORT FORMS

Nope, i m x an avid msger. Oops! You caught me... haha. (Kidding)

The world of communication today seems to revolve around these short forms and abbreviations today. Who in the name of the... the... arh... Oxford Advanced learner's Dictionary invented all those things. The really bad thing about these short forms is that there are no specific rules that govern their usage, meaning different people tend to use different ways to abbreviate words or phrases for the same words.

Example: 'I love you' maybe abbreviated as 'i luv u' or 'i  u'
               'Thank you' maybe abbreviated as 'tq' or 'thanx' 

It may seem small. But some people (like me, sometimes), need a lot of time to interpret these secretive codes. When we were starting out with generic phones, these abbreviations were still seldom used. However, since the outbreak of the social-network syndrome, they are used in nearly every word. That just goes on to prove how creative humans are.


On my birthday this year, I received a message from a friend I know: Hapi Bufday! MGBU!


I could still handle the greetings at the front. But the last 'MGBU' got me thinking half a day (maybe a good birthday present for my brain to exercise) about its meaning. The answer came out when I accidentally found a bookmark in my Reader's Digest: May God Bless You.


Ah, you can call me outdated for finding these codes cumbersome. But trust me, I am trying to get used to them. Maybe those social network should come up with a dictionary for using these abbreviations so that everyone can one day use the standard code for each word.


Oh, a site did: Text Message And Chat Room Short Form Dictionary 

No comments:

Post a Comment