Jan 12, 2013

Spend. Wisely.

"What? These three bottles of makeup cost RM 600++?" That was what I heard when I was shopping in Parkson a few days ago. A man was grumbling at his girlfriend (from what I can tell, the couple is still too young to be married) for spending beyond their (or maybe, his) limit. What is happening to youngsters nowadays? Only God can tell. Well, I am in the 'youngsters' group, but even I can't understand about their (maybe I will leave myself out of this group for a while, so that an 'our' is not needed here) spending habit.

One of my friends once told me that she has no trouble spending all of her pocket money. When I asked her about this, she replied, "My parents gave it to me, so it is rightfully mine. I can spend it anyway I like." Hmm... It is up to you to judge this person. 

Honestly, even if our parents do give us pocket money, we don't necessarily have to spend it till it hits zero. I mean, what is it that we need to buy for ourselves? Our parents feed us, clothe us and take care of our stationery. Maybe occasionally, we will need to spend our own money but I am sure parents give pocket money to their children so that the latter will learn to save up.

It's not like the pocket money is spent on the right things anyway. With their pocket money, children reload their own phone credits (and they go on to send text messages like crazy), buy snacks for their friends (and fatten them up), purchase clothes (online or in-the-store) and do anything that their creativity allows them to. Ah, yup, some even buy games and tech gadgets.

I think someone is feeling the heat here... Is it you?

I wonder if they know how hard it is for parents to earn all those notes. They will get a taste of it when they reach adulthood, having their own children spending every penny they earned with their sweat, tears and blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment